19 March 2019, 10:53
Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - Mass processions with cross were held by believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in many cities and towns of the country on the Triumph of Orthodoxy celebrated on the first Sunday of the Great Lent.
One of the most numerous processions with cross was held in Odessa, it was headed by ruling archbishop of the region - Metropolitan Agafangel. Over 10,000 people participated in the march, press-service of the local diocese reports.
Over 2,000 participants marched during the procession with cross in Kiev: it started in the lavra (monastery) after the divine service celebrated by Metropolitan Onufry, it was attended by representatives of six states, the procession first moved to the Vladimirskaya Hill.
"There near the monument to St. Vladimir main celebrations took place. According to the traditions of this feast, believers and representatives of Orthodox brotherhoods proclaimed anathema to those who destroy the Church, including Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople," head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church press service told Interfax.
Then the procession with cross moved to the monument to St. Olga, then to St. Sophia of Kiev Cathedral where late in December Ukrainian authorities held a council to establish a new Ukrainian church constituted by representatives of non-canonical organizations. Participants in the procession with cross blessed the ancient cathedral with the holy water and prayed for returning it back to the Church, then they marched along the city’s main street – Khreschatik.
As was reported to Interfax, processions with cross were also held in Zaporozhye, Chernigov, Rovno and other cities and towns. In Zaporozhye there were thrice as many people as in previous years. "Tomos has helped," the interviewee of the agency said.
"Such wide-scale marches are inspiring moment for people, they give hope for the whole country as the Orthodox believers are ready to remain faithful to their native Church in spite of all threats," Anisimov said.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07