13 March 2019, 12:12
Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos
Kiev, March 13, Interfax - The Ukrainian Constitutional Court has decided not to assess the legality of the Verkhovnaya Rada's decision to support the request for autocephaly made by the country's president to the Constantinople patriarch.
Forty-seven Ukrainian deputies earlier asked the Constitutional Court to recognize as contradicting the Constitution the Rada's decision supporting the tomos, which they believe violates the principle of separation of state and church.
In the meantime, the Constitutional Court found that the issues addressed in the Rada decision are "political and should be resolved within the terms of reference and political expediency of the relevant bodies of state authority."
The Constitutional Court judges found that the parliament "can make political decisions to express its position ad evaluate specific events, facts and circumstances."
"Adopting this decision, the Verkhovnaya Rada expressed its political position on supporting the request made by the Ukrainian president to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to grant a tomos on autocephaly to the Orthodox church in Ukraine," the court said in its decision.
Thus, it follows from the Constitutional Court's verdict that the issues addressed in the Rada decision "cannot be considered by the Constitutional Court as they are political, not legal in nature."
For those reasons, the Constitutional Court of Ukraine declined to initiate proceedings in the case.
- Muslim board evacuated in Makhachkala due to bomb threat 20 May 2019, 19:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation 20 May 2019, 18:44
- Zelensky's words on unacceptability of Ukraine's division based on language should also apply to religion - Lavrov 20 May 2019, 16:40
- President is not an icon - Zelensky 20 May 2019, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill calculated that without abortions population of Russia will increase up to 166 million in twenty years 20 May 2019, 14:07
- Media review: "Two-headed hydra of Ukrainian schism and the world Orthodoxy" 20 May 2019, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on new Ukrainian authorities to stop discriminating against Russian language 20 May 2019, 11:13
- Sverdlovsk regional administration to invite people to discuss alternative sites for church construction in Yekaterinburg 20 May 2019, 11:02
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57
- Three Yekaterinburg church protestors penalized for traffic rules violation 15 May 2019, 14:33
- Twenty-six protesters against church construction detained in Yekaterinburg – authorities 15 May 2019, 12:42
- Three hospitalized after protest against church construction in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 12:08
- Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest 14 May 2019, 17:42