26 February 2019, 21:06
Russian Orthodox Church Synod calls on Ukrainian govt to cease persecution of canonical Сhurch's followers
Moscow, February 26, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate has called on the Ukrainian authorities to cease the persecution of members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"We call on the Ukrainian authorities to cease persecuting their own citizens, who are unwilling to join the schism," according to the Synod's statement made following its session in Moscow on Tuesday.
Additionally, the Synod urged fraternal local Orthodox Churches to express support via prayers to "the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is being persecuted," and called on the international community to pay attention to "the outrageous facts of human rights violations" and give due evaluation to "the Ukrainian state's gross interference with the Church's affairs."
The Synod considered the Ukrainian issue "in a specific order," Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, told journalists.
"It is becoming increasingly obvious that representatives of the incumbent [Ukrainian] authorities aim at the abolition of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," the Synod said, adding that the local governments and law enforcement agencies of Ukraine were recommended to facilitate as much as possible the transition of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's communities "into the schism."
Threats of depriving the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of its major monasteries and historical relics, namely the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and the Pochayev Lavra, have been made and in the majority of cases the seizure of churches of the religious communities happens contrary to their decisions to stay in the canonical church, the Holy Synod said.
"The ongoing unlawful acts have resulted in an upsurge of violence against the clergy and believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Despite the assurances of the Ukrainian leadership and the Patriarchate of Constantinople that the so-called 'unification of Ukrainian Orthodoxy' has a peaceful nature, dozens of churches have been seized through break-in with support of armed units, accompanied by repeated facts of beatings of the clergy and believers of the canonic Church trying to defend their relics," it said.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07