26 February 2019, 21:03
New Ukrainian church's fears about Donbass ban groundless - DPR authorities
Donetsk, February 26, Interfax - Head of the new Ukrainian church (OCU), Yepifaniy Dumenko's, claims that the authorities in the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) intend to ban the OCU in its territory looks like an attempt to justify the seizure of the canonical Church's property in Ukraine, the self-proclaimed republic said.
"The Ukrainian media are waging a mass information campaign about the DPR supposedly violating citizens' rights to the freedom of religion. The [campaign] was prompted by the DPR law on the freedom of religion and religious organizations, whereby existing religious organizations had until March 1 to apply for official registration [re-registration] with the culture ministry," Maxim Parshin, head of the DPR People's Council committee for civil society, civic and religious organizations, told Interfax on Tuesday.
The law was published on May 16, 2018, and before it even came into effect the Kiev Patriarchate had written to international organizations expressing fears about being banned and losing land and property rights, he said.
"Filaret pointed out that the registration requirement 'could not be met because it is a violation of Ukrainian law.' Apparently, the Ukrainian propaganda machine has been commissioned to prepare grounds for subsequent justification of the seizures of the property of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church," Parshin said.
Neither the DPR nor the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic has ever hosted "the so-called OCU [the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine]" and the "Kiev Patriarchate" is effectively inactive, he said.
"But even churches that have shut down and other property, no one is taking them away from their owners, the owners just need to register themselves, no more. We are giving an opportunity to anyone who wishes to do so to retain their rights and liabilities. And no one has cancelled the normal standard registration for newly opening organizations."
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07