22 February 2019, 21:48
UOC bishop calls on Ukrainian PM to put end to church takeovers
Kiev, February 22, Interfax - Bishop Viktor (Kotsaba), vicar of the Kiev Metropolitanate, has drawn the attention of Ukrainian Prime Minister Vladimir Groysman to the encroachments on the right of the flock of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church amid the creation of the new church.
"The hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church have to go through increased control and questioning when they go abroad and return from abroad. Almost every day we get information on takeovers by strangers of churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in favor of a different confession. Such actions are accompanied by clashes and conflicts, and in some situations beatings of our believers," Bishop Viktor said during a meeting between Groysman and members of the All-Ukrainian Council of Churches and Religious Organizations on Friday.
"The faith where respect and love are replaced with hatred in hearts, foul language and an angle grinder in people's hands is not the kind of faith that Christ brought to this earth," the bishop said.
As a law-governed and democratic state, Ukraine took the course towards European integration and assumed an obligation to observe not only basic human rights, but also European principles, which include autonomy of religious organizations, he said.
"However, today's situation shows that active interference by bodies of state authority in the internal life of the Church, unfortunately, violates not only this principle, but also the Constitution of Ukraine, the national and international legislation," the bishop said.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has always been and will be constructive and open to any cooperation that is good of Ukraine and its people, he said.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17