21 February 2019, 19:22
Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU
Kiev, February 21, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) said that only 36 out of its 12,000 communities in Ukraine have joined the new church of Ukraine (OCU), after the latter was granted autocephaly, and a dispute is unfolding around another 250 communities over changing their confessional identity.
"Today, the statistical data revealed quite clearly that 36 out of 12,000 religious communities of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church [of the Moscow Patriarchate] have changed their confessional identity. Another 24 communities were forcibly reregistered and these cases will certainly be appealed in the court," head of the Information and Educational Department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Archbishop Kliment (Vecherya) said at a press conference in Kiev on Thursday.
"There are about 250 situations, in which there is a standoff with the use of force, and there is a conflict. This conflict has not yet led to any results, therefore, one cannot say that these communities have changed their confessional identity," he added.
After Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew granted autocephaly to the OCU, the Moscow Patriarchate's UOC came under pressure with the use of administrative resource in efforts to make its religious communities convert to another confession, Archbishop Kliment said.
A total of 320 dioceses joined the OCU after granting the Tomos on Autocephaly, Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko said on February 18.
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28