20 February 2019, 10:09
Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol
Simferopol, February 20, Interfax - Forced eviction from the premises in Simferopol leased to the Crimean Diocese of the new Ukrainian church (OCU) is ruled out, the Crimean leader Sergey Aksyonov said.
"No one of oppressing anyone, all documentation is being brought in accordance (...) No forceful action is definitely being taken," Aksyonov told reporters.
The Saints Vladimir and Olga Catherdal is located at a building previously occupied by a former Simferopol higher military-political building school. It is a three-storey building with classical-style columns. The only sign of the religious tenant is a small cross above the entrance.
On February 12, the OCU Archbishop Kliment of Simferopol and Crimea said in Kiev that the Crimean authorities demanded that the premises of the Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral be vacated. He said that since 2014 the local authorities had been telling the diocese to re-register in accordance with the Russian laws but the diocese's administration has not done so.
"Because we are not re-registered, the fund for property and land relations is requiring us to sign all additional agreements and hand over the premises we occupy in the city of Simferopol to the ministry currently operating in Crimea (...) By early March, I should be left out in the street. I don't know where to take out our belongings, don't know where to remove them," Kliment said.
The Ukrainian Culture Ministry did not take stock of the valuables on the grounds of the cathedral, so they cannot be sent to Ukraine, "because the law bans me from moving cultural and national valuables across border," he said.
Earlier, Crimean Minister of Property and Land Relations Anna Anyukhina told Interfax that OCU representatives were refusing to provide documentation necessary for the lease in Simferopol. According to her data, Archbishop Kliment had not been seen in Crimea for a long time.
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10