19 February 2019, 18:50
Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown
Kiev, February 19, Interfax - Banning the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) for its refusal to change name would be unlawful, the UOC said.
A day earlier the Culture Ministry said that, unless the UOC complies with the re-naming law, a court could ban its operation.
Such an approach is unlawful, the UOC's chief lawyer Archpriest Alexander Bakhov said.
"Today there is no legal ground to de-register or shut down the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. What we are seeing is the Culture Ministry trying in every possible way to pressurize UOC religious communities with a view to forcing them to rename themselves. Also, all kinds of threats are being made to strip UOC religious organizations of registration," the priest was quoted by the UOC information and education department as saying on Tuesday.
The "Freedom of conscience and religious organization" law cited by the ministry sets out specific cases where a religious organization may be suspended, he said. Change of name is not among those cases, but there are some, such as violation of the property use rules, an attempt on the life, health, freedom of a human, and so on, which could be used to suspend other religious organizations, "for instance, the newly-formed Orthodox Church in Ukraine, the Kiev Patriarchate all fall under some signs of this article whereby their operation may be suspended. Have they been seizing property? They have. Have they violated the law? They had. Have they been inciting inter-religious animosity? They have. But for some reason, the Culture Ministry is not in a hurry to suspend their operation by a court order," the priest said.
On December 20, 2018 Verkhovnaya Rada passed a bill requiring the UOC name to include a reference to its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church. President Pyotr Poroshenko signed the bill into law on December 22, 2018.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17