18 February 2019, 17:45
UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated)
Kiev, February 18, Interfax - Metropolitan Mitrofan of Gorlovka and Slavyansk was held at a checkpoint in Donbass on Monday and escorted to a police station.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop was returning from a prayer service he had just performed at one of the diocese's churches in Liman District, the UOC information and education department said.
He was stopped at the checkpoint in the village of Malinovka and then taken to the Slavyansk town police department.
Initially, the bishop was barred from seeing a lawyer or other clergymen. When the local congregation learnt of his detention, they and the clergy gathered outside the police building to pray.
"Soon, a police official emerged in front of those assembled and said that Metropolitan Mitrofan had been held on suspicion of separatism. However, the police released him a while later and he drove off in the direction of the diocesan administration," the UOC said.
A national police spokesman, Yaroslav Trakalo, said the police had detained UOC Metropolitan Mitrofan and questioned him "in connection with the presence in their databases of the information about his possible links with people involved with illegal militias in the DPR [Donetsk people's republic]."
"To prove or disprove these data, the metropolitan was questioned in the presence of a lawyer. We obtained information which could be important for the police work in the Donetsk Region. After that he was released. It is a standard check in such situations," Trakalov said.
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57
- Three Yekaterinburg church protestors penalized for traffic rules violation 15 May 2019, 14:33
- Twenty-six protesters against church construction detained in Yekaterinburg – authorities 15 May 2019, 12:42
- Three hospitalized after protest against church construction in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 12:08
- Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest 14 May 2019, 17:42
- Russian Church condemns attempts to stir up conflict around Yekaterinburg church construction 14 May 2019, 14:56
- Zelensky posts video of various religious leaders appealing to Donbass and Crimean people 13 May 2019, 19:43
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes USSR victory in World War II is people's merit, not Stalin 13 May 2019, 19:01
- A thousand of Russian students joined the March of Life in Auschwitzh 13 May 2019, 17:19
- Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret 13 May 2019, 16:15
- Russians must be strong to avoid war - Patriarch Kirill 08 May 2019, 16:22
- St. Petersburg courts reduces sentence for blogger Sokolovsky earlier convicted for playing Pokemon Go in church 08 May 2019, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on Israelis to make no compromises with Hamas 06 May 2019, 18:14