15 February 2019, 22:17
Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District
Khanty-Mansiysk, February 15, Interfax - Law enforcement agencies in Surgut in the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District have suppressed the activity of a group of Jehovah's Witnesses (banned in Russia), the Investigative Committee's branch in the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District said on Friday.
Investigators said that members recruited local residents who distributed forbidden literature. In conversations with local residents, Jehovah's Witnesses "propagandized their advantage over representatives of other religions, encouraging locals to end kindred and family relations with the latter."
The most active members of the organization were detained.
Their homes and offices were searched, and extremist literature, computers, and mobile phones were seized, according to the Investigative Committee.
Investigators are verifying the exact number of local Jehovah's Witnesses and all of the circumstances of their activity.
A criminal inquiry has been launched over organization of and participation in the activity of a banned organization and the recruitment of local residents.
A local cell of the Jehovah's Witnesses called The Gathering was shut down in Urai in the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District in early February.
On April 20, 2017, the Russian Supreme Court granted the Justice Ministry's lawsuit recognizing the religious organization The Managerial Center of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia and its local divisions as extremist and banned them in Russia.
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57
- Three Yekaterinburg church protestors penalized for traffic rules violation 15 May 2019, 14:33
- Twenty-six protesters against church construction detained in Yekaterinburg – authorities 15 May 2019, 12:42
- Three hospitalized after protest against church construction in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 12:08
- Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest 14 May 2019, 17:42
- Russian Church condemns attempts to stir up conflict around Yekaterinburg church construction 14 May 2019, 14:56
- Zelensky posts video of various religious leaders appealing to Donbass and Crimean people 13 May 2019, 19:43
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes USSR victory in World War II is people's merit, not Stalin 13 May 2019, 19:01
- A thousand of Russian students joined the March of Life in Auschwitzh 13 May 2019, 17:19
- Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret 13 May 2019, 16:15
- Russians must be strong to avoid war - Patriarch Kirill 08 May 2019, 16:22
- St. Petersburg courts reduces sentence for blogger Sokolovsky earlier convicted for playing Pokemon Go in church 08 May 2019, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on Israelis to make no compromises with Hamas 06 May 2019, 18:14