11 February 2019, 12:47
Russian Orthodox Church calls on Athos not to have communion with Ukraine's new church
Moscow, February 11, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has called on monasteries on Mt. Athos not to have communion with the new church of Ukraine (OCU) and thanked all the monks there who have refused to host the delegation of the OCU.
Representatives of the new Ukrainian church led by Bishop Pavel Yuristy began their visit to Athos at the end of last week. Some monks agreed to host them and even conducted joint services with them, but at least three monasteries - the Russian St. Panteleimon Monastery, Zograf, and Dokhiar - closed their doors to the guests, and seven monks left the Vatopedi Monastery to protest the recognition of the OCU.
"I sincerely hope that Athos will make the only right choice, in favor of canonical order, in this situation in which it has unexpectedly found itself. And I thank all Athos monks and hegumens who have already made this choice," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, wrote in an article published on Jesus-portal.ru.
The Russian Orthodox Church loves Athos and was happy to visit it while that was possible, but the reason for this love is not its ancientness, architecture, or beautiful landscapes, but primarily because "Athos remains a stronghold of church truth for millions of Orthodox Christians," Metropolitan Hilarion wrote.
The unique spiritual atmosphere of Athos formed over many generations, and many monks there "are justly concerned that it will be destroyed if Athos is opened to women," as European politicians have suggested repeatedly, he wrote.
"But does prayer communion with schismatics not pose even greater dangers to monastic life as a whole? Will Athos not turn into salt that has lost its force if the murky waters of the schism fill this holy place?" the metropolitan wrote.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23