11 February 2019, 11:01
Athos monks moving to Russian monastery in protest against communication with new Ukrainian church
Moscow, February 11, Interfax - After the Athos Monastery of Vatopedi has received bishop of the new church of Ukraine (OCU) Pavel Yuristy, seven monks of this monastery have left it and moved to the Russian St. Panteleimon Monastery, which is also situated on the Holy Mount.
These are Russian, Ukrainian and Moldovan monks of the Vatopedi Monastery, a source with the Moscow Patriarchate told Interfax on Sunday. It has been reported that among ethnic Greeks, who reside in the Vatopedi Monastery, there are quite a lot of those, who are extremely discontent with the monastery leadership's stance and view representatives of the new Ukrainian church as schismatics.
"In all, four Athos monasteries, namely the Xenophontos, Pantokratoros, New Esphigmenou and Vatopedi monasteries, have already begun communication with the new Ukrainian church today," the source said.
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew ordered that a delegation of the new church visit all of the Athos monasteries, rector of the Moscow Theological Academy Archbishop Amvrosy said.
"We see Athos monasteries joining schismatics one by one and unbelievably betraying Orthodox believers in Ukraine, who are being persecuted, blackmailed, beaten, and driven away from their favorite churches [...] The enemy of the humankind is sneering at people at such an intricate way!" the rector of the academy wrote on Telegram.
On December 15, 2018, the unification assembly was held in Kiev, where the Ukrainian authorities backed by the Patriarchate of Constantinople established a church, which became independent from the Moscow Patriarchate and united representatives of non-canonical churches. As of now, not a single local Orthodox Church, except for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, recognized the OCU and sent its delegation to attend the enthronization of the OCU primate.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23