31 January 2019, 12:28
Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukraine's Orthodox Christians not to give in to temptation
Moscow, January 31, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has expressed support for Ukraine's Orthodox Christians and said he hopes he can visit that country again and pray with its people.
"Apostle Paul said very good words in his epistle to Thessalonians: brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings. [...] I would like to say these words to my Ukrainian flock," the patriarch said in an interview with Interfax before the 10th anniversary of his enthronement.
These teachings are a symbol of the faith that the church preaches, he said. "Hold fast to this faith. Resist all temptations," the patriarch said, addressing Ukraine's Orthodox Christians.
"Hearing the voice of the Church is the most important thing for believers in Ukraine now and this voice sounds excellent through His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry and the bishops of our Church," he said.
"One needs to hear that voice and live in accordance with what the Church teaches and what it calls for. Then no political turbulence will mislead people," the patriarch said.
In the first five years after his election, Patriarch Kirill visited Ukraine annually to lead celebrations of the anniversary of the Christening of Rus. He visited many cities in the eastern and western parts of the country and led meetings of the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church in Kiev.
The patriarch's visits stopped after the change of administration in 2014. However, the patriarch does not believe that he can no longer visit Ukraine.
"I hope that the Lord will allow me to visit Ukraine again, because the political situation is a thing that changes. Today we have one situation and tomorrow we have a different one. Political forces come and go. Therefore, I continue to hope that I can pray in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, meet with my flock, with the bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is now heroically defending the canonical Orthodox faith," he said.
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28