31 January 2019, 12:28
Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukraine's Orthodox Christians not to give in to temptation
Moscow, January 31, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has expressed support for Ukraine's Orthodox Christians and said he hopes he can visit that country again and pray with its people.
"Apostle Paul said very good words in his epistle to Thessalonians: brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings. [...] I would like to say these words to my Ukrainian flock," the patriarch said in an interview with Interfax before the 10th anniversary of his enthronement.
These teachings are a symbol of the faith that the church preaches, he said. "Hold fast to this faith. Resist all temptations," the patriarch said, addressing Ukraine's Orthodox Christians.
"Hearing the voice of the Church is the most important thing for believers in Ukraine now and this voice sounds excellent through His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry and the bishops of our Church," he said.
"One needs to hear that voice and live in accordance with what the Church teaches and what it calls for. Then no political turbulence will mislead people," the patriarch said.
In the first five years after his election, Patriarch Kirill visited Ukraine annually to lead celebrations of the anniversary of the Christening of Rus. He visited many cities in the eastern and western parts of the country and led meetings of the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church in Kiev.
The patriarch's visits stopped after the change of administration in 2014. However, the patriarch does not believe that he can no longer visit Ukraine.
"I hope that the Lord will allow me to visit Ukraine again, because the political situation is a thing that changes. Today we have one situation and tomorrow we have a different one. Political forces come and go. Therefore, I continue to hope that I can pray in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, meet with my flock, with the bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is now heroically defending the canonical Orthodox faith," he said.
- Restoration of 'Kiev Patriarchate' shows viability of Constantinople's project in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27