30 January 2019, 17:55
Orthodox Church in America refuses to recognize new Ukrainian church
Washington, January 30, Interfax - Metropolitan Tikhon and the members of the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America have declared their support for the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and refused to recognize the church created a month and a half ago with the support of Constantinople and the Ukrainian authorities.
"The Holy Synod of Bishops has determined at this time: to continue to recognize and support Metropolitan Onufry as the canonical head and Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church; to withhold, with several of our sister Churches, recognition of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine," the Synod said in an open letter.
The Holy Synod also decided that no changes will be made to the diptych of the Orthodox Church in America (the order in which the heads of the churches are mentioned in church services, in which Constantinople has recently included the head of the new Ukrainian church), noting that the Orthodox Church in America has not been formally requested to make such changes.
The administration of the Orthodox Church in America said that issues related to church jurisdiction should never be resolved "through governmental interference."
The Synod said that the crisis in Ukrainian church life can only be resolved through unity, adding that other local Churches also support this viewpoint.
The Orthodox Church in America expressed "deep sorrow and distress" over the Constantinople Patriarchate's creation of "an ecclesial body consisting of two schismatic groups" and called on its faithful to exercise restraint in public discussions of these issues.
The creation of the local Orthodox church of Ukraine backed by the Constantinople Patriarchate and independent of the Moscow Patriarchate was announced at the unification assembly in Kiev on December 15. The new church is made up of representatives of the country's uncanonical church structures. Yepifaniy received a tomos on autocephaly from Patriarch Bartholomew on January 6. No other Orthodox Churches have recognized the new church or agreed to send a delegation to the enthronement.
The Holy Mount Athos Kinot, which is in the jurisdiction of Constantinople, recently refused to attend this ceremony. Out of the 20 Athos monasteries, only five were in favor of sending a delegation.
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00