18 January 2019, 14:15
Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava
Belgrade, January 18, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has been invited to attend the consecration of Belgrade's Cathedral of Saint Sava, which is being rebuilt with Russia's financial assistance.
During his visit to Belgrade on Thursday, Putin and Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic visited the cathedral, in front of which nearly 150,000 people had gathered.
Russian Academy of Arts member Nikolay Mukhin, the project's designer and the coordinator of a group of Russian specialists helping restore the cathedral, told the president about the project and showed him samples of the mosaic decorating the cathedral's interior.
Mukhin thanked Putin for his support of the project and said that everything would be accomplished if there is good "movement."
Putin said it had been decided to allocate additional funding for the cathedral's restoration.
"This decision has been made. The documents will be finalized in several days. A little over $5 million," Putin said.
Mukhin said he hopes Putin and Vucic will visit the cathedral.
"The president has invited me," Putin replied.
Putin has received the invitation, Vucic said, adding that the consecration ceremony may be held in September or October.
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10