10 January 2019, 14:39
Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly
Tbilisi, January 10, Interfax - The Georgian Orthodox Church will not rush its decision on whether to recognize the autocephaly of the new church of Ukraine, Metropolitan Nikoloz of Akhalkalaki and Kumurdo told reporters.
"The Churches that are ahead of us in the hierarchy have to state their positions first. The decision of the Constantinople Patriarchate to grant autocephaly to the Ukrainian church needs to be studied. On the one hand, the Georgian Church can support the right of the Ukrainian state to have an autocephalous church, but on the other hand, one needs to take into account who should recognize this autocephaly and on what conditions. In particular, who the head of the Ukrainian church and other hierarchs should be," Metropolitan Nikoloz told the Georgian information agency Interpressnews.
It is especially important to determine the canonicity of those Ukrainian clergymen who are represented in the new church of Ukraine, as some of them were anathematized in a decision shared by all Orthodox Churches, including the Constantinople Patriarchate.
"Today we cannot recognize these clergymen and serve with them," the metropolitan said.
The Holy Synod of the Georgian Orthodox Church has not yet studied the tomos received by the Ukrainian church in detail, he said.
"We need to study the tomos in the original, not one of the translated versions published a couple of days ago. There can be no rush here, given that the Constantinople Patriarchate has still not made a decision regarding a similar tomos for the Georgian Orthodox Church and has not settled the diptych issue. It took the Constantinople 1,500 years to recognize the autocephaly of the Georgian Orthodox Church. If the Ukrainian church has to wait a little, there will be nothing special in that. We restored our autocephaly in 1917, which was recognized by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1943 and by the Constantinople Patriarchate in 1990. The issue of recognition is a lengthy and complex process, so it's tactless and inappropriate to talk about our position right now," Metropolitan Nikoloz said.
The Holy Synod of the Georgian Orthodox Church discussed the Constantinople Patriarchate's letter on granting autocephaly to the new church of Ukraine, he said.
"The official letter contains a very dangerous phrase to the effect that the Constantinople Patriarchate has the exclusive right to interfere in the affairs of any local Church. This is unacceptable and could lead to many challenges in the future," the metropolitan said, without ruling out that the kind of situation surrounding the granting of autocephaly to Ukraine may occur with the self-proclaimed Abkhaz Church in the future.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17