09 January 2019, 18:55
If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze
Tbilisi, January 9, Interfax - If the Georgian Orthodox Church recognizes the autocephaly of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, the Russian Orthodox Church will recognize the Abkhaz Church's independence, Nino Burjanadze, the leader of the Georgian opposition party Democratic Movement and former parliamentary speaker, said on Wednesday.
"As regards the recognition by the Constantinople Patriarchate of Ukraine's autocephaly, the Georgian Patriarchate has assumed quite a cautious position, which is connected not only to the Church, but also to Georgia's future," Burjanadze said at a news briefing.
She criticized Georgian policymakers who have demanded that the Georgian Church immediately recognize the Orthodox Church of Ukraine's autocephaly.
"I would like to ask these gentlemen directly what is more important to us: Georgia's interests or general words on justice. The integrity of our country or the interests of the Ukrainian people? I respect all peoples, including the Ukrainian people, but for me, Georgia's interests stand above all else," she said.
The recognition of the Abkhaz Church's independence by the Russian Orthodox Church would have negative effects with respect to the restoration of Georgia's integrity, she said.
"I am sure that the Georgian Patriarchate will continue to act cautiously with regard to the recognition of the [Orthodox] Church of Ukraine's autocephaly, which, according to statements by a lot of experts in religion and theologians, is not that certain, contrary to the propaganda. We need to be focused on our own interests, not American or Western interests," she said.
The Holy Synod of the Georgian Church decided at its last session in 2018 to postpone the consideration of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine's autocephaly.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17