06 January 2019, 21:02
Polish Orthodox Church refuses to recognize new Ukrainian church
Kiev, January 6, Interfax - Metropolitan Sawa of Warsaw and All Poland has sent a letter to the Constantinople patriarch, in which he says he is refusing to recognize the church recently created in Ukraine.
According to the canons, "schismatic church groups" can only be returned to the Church through their repentance and suspensions from service can only be lifted from clergymen, in particular, Filaret Denisenko, leader of the former "Kiev Patriarchate", by "those who suspended them," the head of the Polish Orthodox Church said in his letter to Patriarch Bartholomew, according to a report posted on the website of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"In any case, we did not see any repentance, remorse, or meekness, which normally precede the lifting of suspensions, in Filaret and his supporters! That didn't happen. And that is a problem. Therefore, they cannot be called real clergymen who can carry out rituals. So-called metropolitan Yepifaniy [the head of the new church], and in reality a secular person, has suffered damage," the Polish metropolitan said.
A copy of the letter to Patriarch Bartholomew was sent to the heads of all local Orthodox Churches, including Metropolitan Onufry, the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
Commenting on the document, the Department for External Church Relations of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said Metropolitan Sawa had addressed the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church using his full title, i.e., calls him His Beatitude Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine.
"This means that the head of the Polish Orthodox Church continues recognizing His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine as the only canonical head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, despite the fact that Patriarch Bartholomew said in one of his letters that His Beatitude would not be able to have the title of Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine after the so-called unification assembly," the synodal department said.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17