28 December 2018, 16:05
Georgian patriarch hopes for restoration of brotherly ties between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople Patriarchate
Tbilisi, December 28, Interfax - Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia deeply regrets the conflict between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Constantinople Patriarchate over the start of the process for granting autocephaly to Ukraine.
"I want to draw attention to what is happening in Ukraine between Constantinople and Moscow. The situation in Ukraine is extremely unpleasant, there is no unity of opinions, no accord. The Russian church stopped remembering the Constantinople patriarch and severed eucharistic communion as Constantinople has started the procedure for granting autocephaly to Ukraine, which aggravates the current crisis even more. This makes us very sad," the patriarch was quoted as saying by the Georgian Patriarchate before the meeting of the Holy Synod of the Georgian Orthodox Church on Friday.
Ilia II said the Orthodox Church had gone through many trials and "overcame them all with God's bliss."
"I hope that the brotherly connections between the Churches will be restored by God's force," the Georgian patriarch said.
The top hierarchs at an earlier meeting of the Holy Synod of the Georgian Orthodox Church could not make a coordinated decision on the issue of Ukraine's autocephaly. It was decided to postpone the discussion of the issue until the next session.
On October 11, the Constantinople Patriarchate's Synod in Istanbul abolished its 1686 decree handing the Kiev Metropolitanate over to Moscow, announced the creation of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of self-proclaimed Orthodox churches in Ukraine. The Moscow Patriarchate's Synod responded by severing ties with Constantinople.
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26
- Shaman Gabyshev's supporter detained after he got into Yakutsk mental clinic 22 June 2020, 11:27
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russian Armed Forces to 'keep their powder dry,' keep unbreakable spirit 22 June 2020, 10:59
- Russia's defense capacity, security solidly ensured - Putin 22 June 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church condemns toppling of statues to American slave holders 22 June 2020, 10:29
- Ukraine investigating case involving fueling of ethnic hatred in creation of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 19 June 2020, 13:28
- Rabbi Lazar does not consider the pandemic God's punishment for human sins 18 June 2020, 17:58
- Vucic asked Russia to support the Serbian Orthodox Church 18 June 2020, 17:30
- Russia's FSB denies taking part in developments in Sredneuralsk monastery 18 June 2020, 12:05
- 'Western values' are unacceptable to Russia - Security Council Secretary Patrushev 17 June 2020, 20:18
- The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization 17 June 2020, 17:10