24 December 2018, 10:22
Poroshenko signs law renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, December 24, Interfax - President Pyotr Poroshenko has signed into law a bill compelling the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to specify its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name, a statement on the presidential website said.
The bill "On changes to the Ukrainian law on the freedom of conscience and religious organizations," approved by parliament on December 20, concerns the names of religious organizations which form part of a larger religious organization headquartered outside Ukraine, "in a state which was found by law to have carried out a military aggression against Ukraine and (or) temporarily occupied a part of Ukraine," the statement reads.
"People have the constitutional right of free choice of religion. Said legal changes are creating the best conditions for the exercise of this right by those who will decide which Orthodox jurisdiction to belong to: either to the newly-created autocephalous Orthodox Church of Ukraine or to the Church which insists on preserving its link to, and dependence on, the ROC," Poroshenko said when signing the bill.
"It is easier to make a choice when all things are called by their names. Implementation of the law will give citizens full information," he said.
The legal changes conform to the principle of the freedom of religion and equality of religions, citizens will not have their constitutional rights restricted, the president said.
The bill passed final reading and was backed by 240 deputies on December 20.
It reads: "a religious organization which forms part of the structure of a religious organization headquartered in a state which has carried out a military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory, should have its name reflect this affiliation to such foreign-based religious organization." Such a religious organization in Ukraine will be obligated to include in its full name the name of the foreign-based organization it is part of, and allowed to add the words "in Ukraine."
Rada speaker Andrey Parubiy signed the bill on the same day and sent it to the president for signature.
The UOC asked Poroshenko to veto the bill. "We believe this law is anti-constitutional and we intend to defend our rights by every legal means. We ask the president of Ukraine to apply his right of veto to this law," the UOC legal department said in a statement.
The law will come into effect once published. After that, the central executive authority in charge of the religious policy is to carry out an appraisal of the charters of religious organizations. Should it identify circumstances regulated by this law, the authority will notify the religious organization accordingly via the official newspaper Uriadovy Kurier.
- Head of the Jewish community of Russia approves of rejuvenation procedures 19 September 2019, 21:35
- The court in Ukraine returns citizenship to the deported rector of the Desyatinny Monastery 19 September 2019, 20:38
- Urals Economics University not to expel student over contacts with LGBT 19 September 2019, 18:18
- Kadyrov ready for dialogue with PACE rep on rights of LGBT persons in Chechnya, although finds problem far-fetched 19 September 2019, 18:13
- High-ranking Culture Ministry official charged with misappropriating money provided for restoration of Solovki objects 19 September 2019, 18:12
- Russian Orthodox Church initiates probe into possible infringement of rights of people prosecuted after Moscow summer riots 18 September 2019, 20:36
- Priests' letter in support of protesters is political declaration - Russian Orthodox Church 18 September 2019, 20:05
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07