24 December 2018, 10:22
Ukrainian parliamentary opposition to go to Constitutional Court, Prosecutor General's Office over church renaming bill
Kiev, Decenber 24, Interfax - Members of the Opposition Bloc faction at the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada intend to go to the Prosecutor General's Office and the Constitutional Court, citing irregularities in the passage of a bill on renaming the canonical Orthodox Church, Mykhail Papiyev of the Opposition Bloc, a member of the procedural committee, said on Friday.
"While passing Bill No. 5309 yesterday, the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman violated the procedural norms and the Ukrainian constitution," Papiyev said at a plenary session.
There have been precedents of the Constitutional Court's declaring some laws as unconstitutional if the procedure of their passage had been violated, he said.
The Opposition Bloc faction members are determined to initiate the special procedure to have the bill passed on the whole declared unconstitutional, he said.
"As the actions by the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman might have involved indications of the violation of Criminal Court Article 364 Part 1, which deals with abuse of office, we are asking the Prosecutor General's Office to file this information with the General Register of Pretrial Investigations and conduct a pretrial investigation," Papiyev said.
The Verkhovnaya Rada passed legislation obliging the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name on Thursday. The bill amending the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations was supported by 240 parliamentarians.
The legislation stipulates that a religious organization that is a structural part of a religious organization with its center in the state that "has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory" must indicate affiliation with this religious organization outside the country in its name. Such a religious organization would have to fully indicate the name of the organization whose part it is and whose center is located outside Ukraine in its statutory name. It can add the words "in Ukraine" to this name.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25