24 December 2018, 10:22
Ukrainian parliamentary opposition to go to Constitutional Court, Prosecutor General's Office over church renaming bill
Kiev, Decenber 24, Interfax - Members of the Opposition Bloc faction at the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada intend to go to the Prosecutor General's Office and the Constitutional Court, citing irregularities in the passage of a bill on renaming the canonical Orthodox Church, Mykhail Papiyev of the Opposition Bloc, a member of the procedural committee, said on Friday.
"While passing Bill No. 5309 yesterday, the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman violated the procedural norms and the Ukrainian constitution," Papiyev said at a plenary session.
There have been precedents of the Constitutional Court's declaring some laws as unconstitutional if the procedure of their passage had been violated, he said.
The Opposition Bloc faction members are determined to initiate the special procedure to have the bill passed on the whole declared unconstitutional, he said.
"As the actions by the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman might have involved indications of the violation of Criminal Court Article 364 Part 1, which deals with abuse of office, we are asking the Prosecutor General's Office to file this information with the General Register of Pretrial Investigations and conduct a pretrial investigation," Papiyev said.
The Verkhovnaya Rada passed legislation obliging the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name on Thursday. The bill amending the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations was supported by 240 parliamentarians.
The legislation stipulates that a religious organization that is a structural part of a religious organization with its center in the state that "has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory" must indicate affiliation with this religious organization outside the country in its name. Such a religious organization would have to fully indicate the name of the organization whose part it is and whose center is located outside Ukraine in its statutory name. It can add the words "in Ukraine" to this name.
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40