21 December 2018, 10:58
Moscow Patriarchate compares the renaming of the UOC with the bandages of Jews under Hitler
Moscow, December 21, Interfax - The Verkhovnaya Rada's decision to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) incites hatred and will lead to religious confrontation, the Moscow Patriarchate said.
"The law is obviously aimed at inciting religious confrontation within the country and will lead to more instability in Ukrainian society. By its nature, it prompts associations with the times of the Third Reich when Jews were forced to wear special badges at all times to make people feel animosity against them and make it easier for the Nazi to look for objects to satisfy their hatred," Secretary of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax.
He was commenting on a bill passed by the Rada that would require the UOC to indicate its affiliation with the center in the "aggressor state" in its name.
The bill is at odds with international norms on religious freedom and is discriminatory toward the UOC, the largest religious organization in Ukraine, the priest said.
"[The document] was passed at the request of the Ukrainian schismatic leader Filaret Denisenko and is aimed at creating conditions for taking over the temples of the canonical Church," he said.
Nevertheless, "the current Ukrainian government is unlikely to be able to break the loyalty of the Orthodox Ukrainians to their home church with such dubious measures," the priest said.
- Head of the Jewish community of Russia approves of rejuvenation procedures 19 September 2019, 21:35
- The court in Ukraine returns citizenship to the deported rector of the Desyatinny Monastery 19 September 2019, 20:38
- Urals Economics University not to expel student over contacts with LGBT 19 September 2019, 18:18
- Kadyrov ready for dialogue with PACE rep on rights of LGBT persons in Chechnya, although finds problem far-fetched 19 September 2019, 18:13
- High-ranking Culture Ministry official charged with misappropriating money provided for restoration of Solovki objects 19 September 2019, 18:12
- Russian Orthodox Church initiates probe into possible infringement of rights of people prosecuted after Moscow summer riots 18 September 2019, 20:36
- Priests' letter in support of protesters is political declaration - Russian Orthodox Church 18 September 2019, 20:05
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07