15 December 2018, 20:27
Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news
Kiev, December 15, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Diocese of Polesye and Sarny has denied reports claiming that its head, Bishop Anatoly, called on believers to participate in the so-called unifying assembly.
"The press service of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Diocese of Sarny reports that a fake address of the head of the diocese of Sarny is circulating [...] and is being displayed on the Internet concerning the unifying assembly, alleging that His Grace calls on the clergy and the believers to participate in the establishment of a 'local church,'" the press service for the diocese said in a statement.
In this regard, the press service for the diocese of Sarny said that no such addresses have been made.
"We believe that at present the Turkish Patriarch of Constantinople has deceived the people of Ukraine and the state, by refraining from granting a complete autocephaly and the status of patriarchy for the so-called 'local church', thus causing the distrust of the episcopacy, the clergy, and the believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in this process," the Diocese of Sarny said.
The aforementioned fake news should be viewed as "a put-up job of the enemies" of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church aimed at "undermining the authority of the head and the clergy of the diocese of Sarny of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and deceiving the Ukrainian people," it said.
This October, the Rovno Region clergy, including the diocese of Sarny, was the first in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to voice its support to Metropolitan Onufry after the Patriarchate of Constantinople had announces its plans regarding Ukraine.
As reported, on Saturday, Kiev is to host the assembly, at which the Ukrainian authorities are planning to create a church, independent from Moscow, with support from Constantinople. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church refused to participate in it, calling into question the success of the entire endeavor.
In the past few weeks, the Ukrainian authorities have exerted pressure on the clergy of the canonical church by means of summonses for questioning, searches and initiating a criminal case on "incitement to enmity."
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07