14 December 2018, 20:08
Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, December 14, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) fears that its episcopate will be forced to attend the so-called unification gathering this Saturday.
"Remember I said that UOC bishops would be delivered to the gathering by the 'security'? Well, today the Security Service branch for the Vinnitsa Region is dragging Metropolitan Agapit (Bevtsik) of Mogilev-Podolsky and Shargorod to Kiev," the UOC's chief lawyer Archpriest Alexander Bakhov wrote on his Facebook page.
The officers collected him from a house in Chernovtsy Region where he was visiting, and drove him to the capital. "The official theory: for a conversation with the president!" the priest said.
The security service branch in Vinnitsa has dismissed this information.
"Officers from the Vinnitsa branch of the Ukrainian Security Service did not travel to Chernovtsy Region, let alone detain anyone," the branch's spokesperson Irina Alexeyeva told the Ukrainskaya Pravda newspaper.
It was reported that the Ukrainian authorities, with support from the Patriarchate of Constantinople, were planning to hold a "unification gathering" in Kiev on December 15 to create a church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate. The canonical UOC has refused to participate in the project from the start. Recently the Security Service carried out searches at its dioceses and gave its clerics "a talking to" which was perceived by the Church as an attempt to force them to attend the meeting.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49