14 December 2018, 20:08
Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, December 14, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) fears that its episcopate will be forced to attend the so-called unification gathering this Saturday.
"Remember I said that UOC bishops would be delivered to the gathering by the 'security'? Well, today the Security Service branch for the Vinnitsa Region is dragging Metropolitan Agapit (Bevtsik) of Mogilev-Podolsky and Shargorod to Kiev," the UOC's chief lawyer Archpriest Alexander Bakhov wrote on his Facebook page.
The officers collected him from a house in Chernovtsy Region where he was visiting, and drove him to the capital. "The official theory: for a conversation with the president!" the priest said.
The security service branch in Vinnitsa has dismissed this information.
"Officers from the Vinnitsa branch of the Ukrainian Security Service did not travel to Chernovtsy Region, let alone detain anyone," the branch's spokesperson Irina Alexeyeva told the Ukrainskaya Pravda newspaper.
It was reported that the Ukrainian authorities, with support from the Patriarchate of Constantinople, were planning to hold a "unification gathering" in Kiev on December 15 to create a church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate. The canonical UOC has refused to participate in the project from the start. Recently the Security Service carried out searches at its dioceses and gave its clerics "a talking to" which was perceived by the Church as an attempt to force them to attend the meeting.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17