13 December 2018, 18:02
Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople
Kiev, December 13, Interfax - Metropolitan Sophrony of Cherkassy and Kanev, known as the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of the idea of independence from the Moscow Patriarchate, said he believes the charter of the "unified local church" written in Istanbul does not meet the expectations of supporters of autocephaly.
"If there is no real independence, Ukrainians do not need a tomos from Constantinople," the online publication Glavkom quoted Metropolitan Sophrony as saying.
Real autocephaly (independence) would imply that the church prepares chrism used during sacraments on its own rather than receiving it from another church, he said.
Metropolitan Sophrony also said the church must be able to ordain its own bishops, without asking for Constantinople's blessing.
All bishops' chairs, monasteries, and communal churches, together with their priors and clerics, must be treated as an integral part of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, so all aspects of their functioning and living must be decided exclusively by the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, he said.
"We would be sincerely grateful for this kind of independence to Constantinople, as well as to other local Orthodox Churches that would recognize its equality. There can be no other independence, and we don't need it in a different form," Metropolitan Sophrony said.
The unification assembly at which Constantinople, with the support of the Ukrainian authorities, plans to create a church independent of Moscow, will take place in Kiev on December 15. The canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) has refused to take part in the assembly from the start, and only some of its hierarchs have displayed interest in the idea of autocephaly. Meanwhile, there have been media reports that the statute of the nascent church implies that it will be much more dependent on Constantinople than the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is currently dependent on the Moscow Patriarchate.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07