10 December 2018, 18:28
"Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly
Kiev, December 10, Interfax - Filaret Denisenko, the leader of the self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate, has warned that he and his supporters may disrupt the unification assembly on December 15 if Constantinople does not accept their conditions.
"The Kiev Patriarchate is the largest church, and it depends on us whether we accept what they offer us or not. If it is useful for us, we will accept it, and if it is useless for us, the state, and the Ukrainian church, we simply won't vote and will reject [it]," Filaret said on Monday, according to the television channel TSN.
Hierarchs of the Kiev Patriarchate do not agree with the procedure for holding the assembly proposed by Constantinople, he said.
The Kiev Patriarchate wants only hierarchs to attend the assembly, while Patriarch Bartholomew insists that laypeople and ordinary priests participate in it as well, Filaret said. Secondly, Filaret wants voting in the election of the head of the new church to be open, while Constantinople wants a secret ballot.
The aim of the uniffication assembly is to establish the Ukrainian church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate, which Constantinople is expected to grant a tomos of autocephaly to. It was initially stated that the assembly would take place in early October, then on November 21-22. Later, it was postponed until December 15.
Observers believe that one of the reasons the assembly was postponed was the lack of consensus among participants, including on such issues as the charter and the leadership of the future church. Filaret earlier raised the possibility of being its "honorary patriarch," to Constantinople's dissatisfaction.
The canonical Orthodox Church has refused to participate in this project from the very beginning. In addition, the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said at a session on December 7 that Patriarch Bartholomew does not have the right to convene any assembles in Ukraine and that the decisions adopted by this "assembly" will have no canonical or legal force.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17