10 December 2018, 16:12
SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line
Kiev, December 10, Interfax - The Ukrainian authorities did not let Metropolitan Hilarion of Donetsk and Mariupol cross the contact line at the Novotroitskoye checkpoint.
Metropolitan Hilarion was en route from Donetsk to the Svyato-Uspensky Nikolo-Vasilyevsky Monastery in the village of Nikolskoye, Volnovakha District, Donetsk Region for a traditional joint prayer with the bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, monks, and pilgrims on the Feast of the Icon of Our Lady of the Sign, an event which has been taking place for 20 years, the press service for the Donetsk Diocese said.
Metropolitan Hilarion's right to cross the contact line, the so-called electronic pass in the database of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), turned out to have been annulled, though no reason was given, the diocese said.
"The only reason for this situation, according to an SBU official at the Novotroitskoye checkpoint, turned out to be very simple and mockingly groundless: [...] a special order from Kiev," it said.
It turned out that the electronic pass was annulled on December 7, but when the metropolitan retuned to Donetsk from the Kiev-Perchersk Lavra after a meeting of the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on December 8, he had no problem crossing the contact line.
"The fact that a citizen of Ukraine has been denied his integral right to enter his home country is even more surprising," the diocese said, adding that such actions show "that certain forces do not want peace, because the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is the only connecting link that has authority on both sides of the contact line in this situation of conflict."
The Donetsk Diocese has described the SBU's actions as provocation, especially in the context of the Ukrainian president's recent request to the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church for assistance with the return of the Ukrainian sailors from Russia.
"This situation shows glaringly that the Ukrainian authorities are continuing to rudely interfere in the affairs of the church and their open persecution of and discrimination against hierarchs and clergy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church based on religious affiliation, clearly violating the constitutional rights of citizens of Ukraine (in Metropolitan Hilarion's case, the right to freedom of travel)," the Donetsk Diocese said.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17