07 December 2018, 12:09
Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly
Kiev, December 7, Interfax - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople has forwarded a letter to Metropolitan Onufry, the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC, Moscow Patriarchate), informing him that he will not be able to carry his current title after the head of Ukraine's "local autocephalous church" has been elected.
"Addressing you as 'Your Eminence Metropolitan of Kiev', in the form of dispensation and mercy, I inform you that after the election of the Ukrainian church head by a body, which will consist of priests and lay people, you will no longer be able from an ecclesiological and canonical standpoint to continue carrying the title of metropolitan of Kiev, which nonetheless you still carry today in violation of the terms outlined in the official documents of 1686," Patriarch Bartholomew said in his letter.
The patriarch went on to ask Metropolitan Onufry to "immediately and in the spirit of concord and unity" participate in the founding assembly of the unified Ukrainian Orthodox Church alongside other UOC bishops and the elections of its head. The patriarch also allowed the metropolitan "to be a candidate for this post."
The patriarch also asked Metropolitan Onufry and other UOC bishops to enter into communion with Kiev Patriarchate leader Metropolitan Filaret and former Archbishop of Lvov Makariy.
In conclusion, Patriarch Bartholomew expressed confidence that Metropolitan Onufry would recognize the Constantinople Patriarchate's decision to heal the Ukrainian schism through creating a new Orthodox church in Ukraine.
Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko), one of the few UOC bishops who want Ukraine to have a church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, published a photocopy of Patriarch Bartholomew's letter on his Facebook page on Thursday evening. However, the letter is dated October 12, which means that it was written the day after the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate abrogated the ordinance of 1686 that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches.
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22