07 December 2018, 12:09
Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly
Kiev, December 7, Interfax - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople has forwarded a letter to Metropolitan Onufry, the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC, Moscow Patriarchate), informing him that he will not be able to carry his current title after the head of Ukraine's "local autocephalous church" has been elected.
"Addressing you as 'Your Eminence Metropolitan of Kiev', in the form of dispensation and mercy, I inform you that after the election of the Ukrainian church head by a body, which will consist of priests and lay people, you will no longer be able from an ecclesiological and canonical standpoint to continue carrying the title of metropolitan of Kiev, which nonetheless you still carry today in violation of the terms outlined in the official documents of 1686," Patriarch Bartholomew said in his letter.
The patriarch went on to ask Metropolitan Onufry to "immediately and in the spirit of concord and unity" participate in the founding assembly of the unified Ukrainian Orthodox Church alongside other UOC bishops and the elections of its head. The patriarch also allowed the metropolitan "to be a candidate for this post."
The patriarch also asked Metropolitan Onufry and other UOC bishops to enter into communion with Kiev Patriarchate leader Metropolitan Filaret and former Archbishop of Lvov Makariy.
In conclusion, Patriarch Bartholomew expressed confidence that Metropolitan Onufry would recognize the Constantinople Patriarchate's decision to heal the Ukrainian schism through creating a new Orthodox church in Ukraine.
Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko), one of the few UOC bishops who want Ukraine to have a church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, published a photocopy of Patriarch Bartholomew's letter on his Facebook page on Thursday evening. However, the letter is dated October 12, which means that it was written the day after the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate abrogated the ordinance of 1686 that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches.
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10