05 December 2018, 17:19
Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media
Kiev, December 5, Interfax - The statute regarding Ukraine's "unified local church" drawn up by the Constantinople Patriarchate does not actually provide for this church's autocephaly, contrary to Kiev's expectations, the online Ukrainian publication Vesti reported.
According to Vesti, some key provisions of this statute show that there is no reason to expect the autocephaly (independence) of the new church; it will be fully subordinate to Constantinople as a metropolitanate.
One of the key provisions of the statute stipulates that the Ukrainian church will be inseparably linked to the Constantinople Patriarchate and, through it, to all other Churches. This is essentially the current status of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which is linked to the Orthodox world via the Russian Orthodox Church.
The draft statute says that the Orthodox church in Ukraine will be led by a metropolitan, not a patriarch, Vesti reported.
The Ukrainian church's assembly of bishops would be required to consult the Constantinople Patriarchate on all important matters; the latter would share whatever it saw as essential with the assembly and would not be required explain its decisions, according to Vesti.
What is more, the Ukrainian church would receive chrism used during sacraments only from Constantinople, which is regarded as one of the main indicators of the absence of real autocephaly, it said.
The "unified local church" would also be unable to canonize saints on its own, but would have to submit their names to Constantinople for endorsement.
The draft statute also stipulates that the Constantinople Patriarchate would act as the top appellate institution.
It was reported earlier that the Synod of the Constantinople Patriarchate had approved a draft statute for a nascent church independent of Moscow at the Synod's meeting on November 27-29.
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41