05 December 2018, 12:32
SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated)
Kiev, December 5, Interfax - Employees of the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU) under the procedural director of the prosecuting authorities and the national police have found signs of operations of an organized network to spread materials that incite to religious discord, the SBU press center told Interfax.
"Law enforcers have conducted a series of searches at certain administrative premises of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and buildings privately owned by members of this denomination in the past few days. A lot of printed matter, the contents of which show signs of the incitement to religious and inter-faith discord, were seized following the searches," the SBU press center said.
A total of 75 copies of a brochure entitled Ukrainian Orthodox Church: Relations with the State, Attitude to the ATO and the Church Schism. Questions and Answers have been seized among other things in the past two days, it said. The brochure has already been reviewed by the SBU and a relevant expert conclusion regarding it has already been given.
According to the expert conclusion of the Ukrainian Research Institution of Technical and Forensic Assessment, this publication "contains propaganda of religious intolerance, offends the feelings of citizens over their religious beliefs, incites to religious and inter-faith enmity and hatred," the SBU press center said.
"Experts will also evaluate other seized materials," it said.
Archpriest Alexander Bakhov, the director of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's legal division, in turn, said on his Facebook page that as at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, 20 priests of the church were summoned for questioning at the SBU department for the Rovno Region as part of a criminal case of high treason and religious enmity.
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10