02 December 2018, 21:15
Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly
Kiev, December 2, Interfax - Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko has awarded Yaroslav Mudry orders (fifth degree) to two metropolitans of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the presidential website said.
Among "the people who made a considerable personal contribution to the development of the state, the socio-economic, technological, cultural and educational development of Ukraine" mentioned in the report is Metropolitan Sofrony of Cherkassy and Kanev, who is known as the most consistent supporter of the creation in the country of a church independent of Moscow.
In mid November, Metropolitan Sofrony was among the several archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who came to meet with the president of Ukraine after he had refused to come to the lavra to meet with the Council of Bishops participants.
The president has also awarded an order to Metropolitan Anatoly of Sarnensk and Polessk. He was among the people who signed a memorandum on unified Ukraine and a unified local church in 2014, but he later recalled his signature.
In the meantime, the Ukrainian authorities have recently been doing active work with the clergy who disagree to participate in the creation of "a unified local church." It was announced on Saturday that the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) had summoned several dozens of clergymen of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the Rovno Region "for a conversation (the Rovno Diocese was the first one to confirm its allegiance to Metropolitan Onufry after the publication of Constantinople's plans to grant autocephaly to Ukraine).
The day before, SBU officials had searched a house belonging to Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshgorod and Chernobyl, the vicar of the Kiev Lavra of the Caves.
- Investigative Committee, human rights commissioner in Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District to verify info on torture of detained Jehovah's Witnesses 22 February 2019, 18:51
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16