02 December 2018, 21:15
Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly
Kiev, December 2, Interfax - Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko has awarded Yaroslav Mudry orders (fifth degree) to two metropolitans of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the presidential website said.
Among "the people who made a considerable personal contribution to the development of the state, the socio-economic, technological, cultural and educational development of Ukraine" mentioned in the report is Metropolitan Sofrony of Cherkassy and Kanev, who is known as the most consistent supporter of the creation in the country of a church independent of Moscow.
In mid November, Metropolitan Sofrony was among the several archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who came to meet with the president of Ukraine after he had refused to come to the lavra to meet with the Council of Bishops participants.
The president has also awarded an order to Metropolitan Anatoly of Sarnensk and Polessk. He was among the people who signed a memorandum on unified Ukraine and a unified local church in 2014, but he later recalled his signature.
In the meantime, the Ukrainian authorities have recently been doing active work with the clergy who disagree to participate in the creation of "a unified local church." It was announced on Saturday that the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) had summoned several dozens of clergymen of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the Rovno Region "for a conversation (the Rovno Diocese was the first one to confirm its allegiance to Metropolitan Onufry after the publication of Constantinople's plans to grant autocephaly to Ukraine).
The day before, SBU officials had searched a house belonging to Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshgorod and Chernobyl, the vicar of the Kiev Lavra of the Caves.
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28