02 December 2018, 21:15
Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly
Kiev, December 2, Interfax - Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko has awarded Yaroslav Mudry orders (fifth degree) to two metropolitans of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the presidential website said.
Among "the people who made a considerable personal contribution to the development of the state, the socio-economic, technological, cultural and educational development of Ukraine" mentioned in the report is Metropolitan Sofrony of Cherkassy and Kanev, who is known as the most consistent supporter of the creation in the country of a church independent of Moscow.
In mid November, Metropolitan Sofrony was among the several archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who came to meet with the president of Ukraine after he had refused to come to the lavra to meet with the Council of Bishops participants.
The president has also awarded an order to Metropolitan Anatoly of Sarnensk and Polessk. He was among the people who signed a memorandum on unified Ukraine and a unified local church in 2014, but he later recalled his signature.
In the meantime, the Ukrainian authorities have recently been doing active work with the clergy who disagree to participate in the creation of "a unified local church." It was announced on Saturday that the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) had summoned several dozens of clergymen of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the Rovno Region "for a conversation (the Rovno Diocese was the first one to confirm its allegiance to Metropolitan Onufry after the publication of Constantinople's plans to grant autocephaly to Ukraine).
The day before, SBU officials had searched a house belonging to Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshgorod and Chernobyl, the vicar of the Kiev Lavra of the Caves.
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55
- Deputy head of Russian Orthodox Church's DECR added to Myrotvorets database 09 January 2019, 15:00
- All members of Ecumenical Patriarchate's Synod sign tomos for Ukraine – media 09 January 2019, 14:23