16 November 2018, 19:11
Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry
Simferopol, November 16, Interfax - Metropolitan of Simferopol and Crimea Lazar has expressed support for Metropolitan Onufry, the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, on behalf of Crimea's Orthodox Christians.
"The clergy and flock of the Simferopol and Crimean Diocese speak with one heart and one mouth for the preservation of the canonical unity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, and they also ask the Lord to prevent division," Metropolitan Lazar told Interfax on Friday.
The Crimean Diocese remained in the jurisdiction of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as part of the Moscow Patriarchate after Crimea joined Russia.
The head of the Simferopol Diocese said Crimea's Christians thank God daily for Metropolitan Onufry, "our experienced helmsman, who ceaselessly looks after the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," and ask that he be "strengthened in his service."
"A special prayer" for peace in Ukraine is said at every liturgy in all churches in Crimea, Metropolitan Lazar said.
Kiev is now preparing for a unification assembly, whose purpose is to create a church independent of Moscow. Metropolitan Emmanuel, vicegerent of the Western European Exarchate of Constantinople, arrived in Kiev on Thursday. He was ordered to complete the process that began in September, when Patriarch Bartholomew proclaimed Ukraine his canonical territory and said he intended to grant it "autocephaly."
A majority of Ukraine's Orthodox Christians belong to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate. The country's authorities have initiated and are supporting the process of creation of "a unified local church."
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41