16 November 2018, 15:22
Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church
Kiev, November 16, Interfax - The clergy in Vinnitsa have decided not to support their ruling bishop, Metropolitan Simeon (Shostatsky), who said he intends to attend the unification assembly on the creation of a Ukrainian church independent of Moscow.
"We support the support the current status of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as a self-governed Church with independent rights. We condemn the rude anti-canonical interference by the Constantinople Patriarchate in the life of our Church, and we express full support for His Beatitude Onufry, the head of our Church and Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine," the emergency assembly of the Vinnitsa clergy said in its decision.
The decision was signed by 42 of the 44 participants, that is, an overwhelming majority of the city's clergy, Ukrainian Orthodox Church's press service said on Friday. Among the participants were the secretary of the diocese, the vicegerent of the Lemeshevsky Monastery, and the hegumenesses of the Brail and Bar Convents.
Metropolitan of Vinnitsa and Bar Simeon, the ruling bishop of the Vinnitsa Diocese, was invited but did not come.
He was the only Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop who refused to sign the final document adopted by its Council of Bishops on November 13. He said he disagreed with decisions such as the severance of eucharistic communion with Constantinople and the call on Ukrainian schismatics to repent as an indispensable condition for overcoming the church schism. On the same day, Metropolitan Simeon, along with two other hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, met with Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko behind closed doors.
The clergy of the Vinnitsa Diocese, for their part, said in their address to their ruling bishop that they fully support the decisions made by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Council on November 13. The clergy of Vinnitsa and eparchial monastics also asked Metropolitan Simeon to call an assembly on November 19 to "support these decisions of the Council of Bishops by an eparchial vote and manifest church unity in the face of future trials."
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07