15 November 2018, 22:20
Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - Metropolitan Simeon of Vinnitsa and Bary is the only member of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council who did not sign its final document and is going to take part in the creation of the "autocephalous church".
"Since we turned to the Ecumenical patriarch, it means the authority to conduct the gathering belongs to him. They should give us a roadmap that would spell out what we must do for this process to take place within the canonical field. And after that you can choose yourselves what your job will be and who will be responsible for what," the priest said in an interview with the Glavkom media outlet on Thursday.
There will be some transition provisions to rule out disputes "like the one currently between the [schismatic] leaders [Filaret and Makary] over which charter the church should live by, who will lead it, and so on.
"I think the Ecumenical Patriarchate exarch who will attend the gathering should make clear how this process will take place."
It was reported that at the UOC Bishops' Council meeting on Tuesday Metropolitan Simeon disagreed with its decisions, such as the severance of Eucharistic Communion with Constantinople and the call on Ukrainian schismatics to repent, being the essential precondition for resolving the church's split. On the same day, he and two other UOC hierarchs attended a private meeting with Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko.
Later Metropolitan Simeon told journalists that he had the same chance like any other attendee of the unification gathering of heading up Constantinople's new church in Ukraine.
In 2014, following the death of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev, the Vinnitsa metropolitan was among the UOC leadership candidates but only got nine votes during the first round and one during the second.
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41