15 November 2018, 22:20
Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - Metropolitan Simeon of Vinnitsa and Bary is the only member of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council who did not sign its final document and is going to take part in the creation of the "autocephalous church".
"Since we turned to the Ecumenical patriarch, it means the authority to conduct the gathering belongs to him. They should give us a roadmap that would spell out what we must do for this process to take place within the canonical field. And after that you can choose yourselves what your job will be and who will be responsible for what," the priest said in an interview with the Glavkom media outlet on Thursday.
There will be some transition provisions to rule out disputes "like the one currently between the [schismatic] leaders [Filaret and Makary] over which charter the church should live by, who will lead it, and so on.
"I think the Ecumenical Patriarchate exarch who will attend the gathering should make clear how this process will take place."
It was reported that at the UOC Bishops' Council meeting on Tuesday Metropolitan Simeon disagreed with its decisions, such as the severance of Eucharistic Communion with Constantinople and the call on Ukrainian schismatics to repent, being the essential precondition for resolving the church's split. On the same day, he and two other UOC hierarchs attended a private meeting with Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko.
Later Metropolitan Simeon told journalists that he had the same chance like any other attendee of the unification gathering of heading up Constantinople's new church in Ukraine.
In 2014, following the death of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev, the Vinnitsa metropolitan was among the UOC leadership candidates but only got nine votes during the first round and one during the second.
- Investigative Committee, human rights commissioner in Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District to verify info on torture of detained Jehovah's Witnesses 22 February 2019, 18:51
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16