15 November 2018, 15:46
Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church said its bishops' signatures may be illegally used at the upcoming unification assembly in Kiev.
According to earlier reports, Metropolitan Simeon of Vinnitsa and Bar has allegedly received letters of authorization from 15 bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to meet with the president of Ukraine, which he brought when he came to meet with Pyotr Poroshenko on November 13.
"It's creative! It's probably even cooler than what Filaret did when he created the Kiev Patriarchate! But there were at least living people there, yes, they were lured to the assembly and deceived, and here they couldn't lure people, they just whipped up some letters of authorization!" Archpriest Aleksander Bakhov, the head of the legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, wrote on Facebook.
He mentioned a recent scheme involving letters of authorization. A court found the actions undertaken in that case illegal.
"Fathers, be attentive, because you may be involved in something without even knowing it!" the priest wrote, adding that the department on religious affairs has samples of the signatures of all bishops of Ukraine.
"The assembly of the bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church did not order any bishops to participate in or represent the Ukrainian Orthodox Church at any assemblies!" he wrote.
Golos.ua reported on Wednesday that the assembly where a church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate is expected to be created may be held on November 22. Yevstraty Zorya, the press secretary of self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate", said that this information is not official and that preparations for the assembly are underway.
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41