14 November 2018, 15:36
Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media
Moscow, November 14, Interfax - Representatives of the episcopate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church have told journalists about President Pyotr Poroshenko's telephone call with Metropolitan Onufry of All Ukraine during the Council that took place in Kiev on Tuesday.
Poroshenko called to invite the hierarchs to meet at the Ukrainian House (an international convention center in Kiev), even though it had been agreed before that the conversation would take place at the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, where 83 of the 90 hierarchs of the canonical Church had gathered.
"The telephone conversation between Metropolitan Onufry and the president turned out to be very rough. While the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church was calm, the president was clearly angry. He shouted into the handset so loudly that many of the hierarchs in the hall heard what he was saying," a participant in the assembly told the online publication Strana.ua.
The president demanded that Metropolitan Onufry back down on the issue of the Ukrainian church's autocephaly. "In reply to the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's comment on the matter, there was an annoyed voice in the handset: 'What canons! What canons!'" the participant said.
The bishops and the president were expected to discuss the establishment of a "unified local church" independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, a process in which the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church has refused to participate from the start, seeing this as interference in religious affairs by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and the secular authorities.
- UOC bishop calls on Ukrainian PM to put end to church takeovers 22 February 2019, 21:48
- Investigative Committee, human rights commissioner in Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District to verify info on torture of detained Jehovah's Witnesses 22 February 2019, 18:51
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44