13 November 2018, 17:13
Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy
Moscow, November 13, Interfax - A meeting between Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko and the top bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church scheduled for 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday has not taken place, a spokesperson for the Russian Orthodox Church said.
"It looks like the meeting between President Poroshenko and the episcopate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church announced earlier will not take place. The president has not come to the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, which the Church indicated as the place of the meeting," Vladimir Legoyda, head of the Russian Orthodox Church's Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, said on Telegram.
The meeting was proposed by the president, and Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine insisted on having this meeting at the monastery. There were reports that Poroshenko insisted on holding a meeting at the Ukrainian House, an international convention center, but the metropolitan ultimately managed to persuade him.
"However, it emerged today that Pyotr Poroshenko would not come to the monastery, and a provocation was prepared against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church hierarchs: after an agreement was made on the date [of the meeting], the bishops received a directive from president's Chief Of Staff, Igor Rainin, to come to the Ukrainian House at the same time [2:00 p.m.]," the Union of Orthodox Journalists reported.
The sides were expected to discuss the establishment of a "unified local church" independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, a process in which the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church has refused to participate from the start, seeing this as interference in religious affairs by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and the secular authorities.
On October 11, the Patriarchate of Constantinople's Synod in Istanbul abolished its 1686 decree handing the Kiev Metropolitanate over to Moscow, announced the creation of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of self-proclaimed Orthodox churches in Ukraine. The Moscow Patriarchate's Synod responded by severing ties with Constantinople.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07