09 November 2018, 17:20
Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media
Kiev, November 9, Interfax - A unification assembly on the creation of a new Ukrainian church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate will not be held before the end of November, Afanasy Shkurupiy, an official with the self-proclaimed Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church, said.
The negotiation commission, which is supposed to discuss the agenda of the assembly, has not held any sessions yet, he said on ZIK television.
"When the commission is working, negotiators should work together, work on the charter and other documents on how the church will live after unification. But we have not received any proposals from the Kiev Patriarchate or even from the administration (if it started this whole process, it should also be an arbiter in this process)," Shkurupiy said.
There have been reports in Ukrainian and Russian media that the unification assembly has been scheduled for November 21. Verkhovnaya Rada Speaker Andrey Parubiy said the same.
However, Shkurupiy said he is certain that nothing will happen by that date. "I am convinced of this. The only thing that can take place is an assembly of the Kiev Patriarchate. But a unification assembly: on the basis of what?" he said.
In October, there was friction between the leaders of the two non-canonical churches of Ukraine, the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church and the Kiev Patriarchate, in the process of preparation for the unification assembly. Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church leader Makary Maletich said due Filaret Denisenko, the leader of the Kiev Patriarchate, was unwilling to make concessions and was insisting on the adoption of the charter he proposed for the future church. The status of the new organization - whether it would be a metropolinate or a patriarchate, as Filaret wants - remains unclear.
Archbishop Job (Getcha), who represents Constantinople at the World Council of Churches, said a week ago that Patriarch Bartholomew would convene a unification assembly in Ukraine when he decided it was time to do so.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17