08 November 2018, 10:59
Moscow Patriarchate says Church Poroshenko offered to return 'home to Russia' consists of Ukrainian citizens
Moscow, November 8, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate is concerned about President Pyotr Poroshenko's words that "the Russian Orthodox Church" has nothing to do in Ukraine and sees in this the Ukrainian authorities' plans to settle the church dispute by force.
"The Ukrainian president's words are obviously at odds with his assurances that while creating the so-called common local church the right of choice of each believer will be ensured, and no one will force anyone to join it by force," secretary of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations for Inter-Orthodox Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax.
As reported, at an international conference in Kiev on Wednesday Poroshenko cited Russian President Vladimir Putin's alleged words that Russia rests on two pillars, that is, the Russian Orthodox Church and nuclear weapons.
"Is it normal when the Russian Security Council led by Putin immediately meets with one question on the agenda: how to protect the Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine?" the Ukrainian president asked himself a question and answered himself: "My dear, you have nothing to do here. Your church has nothing to do here, your armed forces have nothing to do here, your weapons have nothing to do here. Go home, to Russia."
"The multimillion Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which Mr. Poroshenko wants to oust from the country, almost completely consists of Ukrainian citizens," the spokesman of the Russian Orthodox Church's Synodal Department said.
"Ukraine is their home, and none of them is going to leave it on their own wish. And this means that the president's wish can be fulfilled exclusively by force," the priest said.
- UOC denies reports that its Synod excommunicates two metropolitans 18 December 2018, 17:30
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc demands Poroshenko declassify text of agreement with Bartholomew 18 December 2018, 12:14
- Ukrainian parliamentary speaker invites Patriarch Bartholomew to speak before Rada 17 December 2018, 19:11
- UOC Synod accuses Constantinople of deepening schism in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 19:09
- UOC Synod bans 2 of its metropolitans who attended unification assembly from religious service 17 December 2018, 19:05
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church declares itself true Сhurch in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 18:46
- Kremlin refrains from intervening in church affairs in Ukraine, sees politics behind schismatic activities - Peskov 17 December 2018, 18:39
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36