06 November 2018, 11:52
Russian Church considers opening of additional parishes abroad for its believers in regard of break with Constantinople
Moscow, November 6, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate is studying the possibility of opening new parishes in those places abroad where its faithful were deprived of the opportunity to take communion due to the break with the Constantinople Church.
"The suspension of communication of the Moscow and Constantinople Patriarchates because of non-canonical actions of Constantinople for the Ukrainian Church forces Russian Church to make greater efforts in the spiritual care of its believers in diaspora," the deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov told Interfax.
Therefore management of the Moscow Patriarchate for foreign institutions is currently examining the queries coming from different parts of the world where some of the believers of Russian Orthodox Church visited the parishes under the jurisdiction of the Church of Constantinople.
"The task is to open the parishes of Russian Orthodox Church in the appropriate places as soon as possible," the priest explained. At the same time, he specified that it is "primarily about those countries that are outside the canonical jurisdiction of a local Orthodox Churches."
In September, Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare for the establishment of an autocephalous church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate. On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate announced that it was fully severing its relations with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00