31 October 2018, 14:27
Russian Orthodox Church calls on compatriots to unite around its parishes abroad
Moscow, October 31, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has urged compatriots living abroad to be understanding toward the decision of its Synod to sever relations with Constantinople and to draw together.
"We expect our compatriots living abroad to understand the existing situation, unite, and increase their support for our foreign communities and parishes of our Church, which may be necessary in some cases," Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, said at the World Congress of Russian Compatriots Living Abroad on Wednesday.
He reminded believers that taking a principled stand on canonical issues does not mean abandoning good human relations with Orthodox Christians from other countries. "Enemies of Orthodox Christianity all over the world want to sow discord between us, seeking to isolate our church, but we must overcome these obstacles with patience and love," the metropolitan said.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches.
According to Metropolitan Hilarion, Constantinople "not only violated the principles of brotherly love between local Churches, but also those of basic human trust, without which even secular diplomatic relations are impossible."
This is an attempt to turn the Russian Church into a hostage to the global confrontation between Russia and the West, he said.
"The objective of the illegal actions of the patriarch of Constantinople is to destroy the unity of the Russian Church. Their objective is to carry out an external political order. The U.S. Department of State published two statements in support of the resolution of the issue of so-called 'Ukrainian autocephaly' by Patriarch Bartholomew in the past few days alone," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
The Ukrainian authorities also state directly that the structure they are creating in Ukraine should serve political goals primarily that of isolating Ukraine's Orthodox believers from Russia and the Russian Church, he said. "They are virtually trying to turn the Russian Orthodox Church into a hostage to the current global confrontation between Russia and the West," he said.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17