29 October 2018, 17:00
Russian Orthodox Church satisfied with pope's attitude to events in Ukraine
Moscow, October 29, Interfax - Pope Francis has a balanced position on the events involving the Orthodox Church in Ukraine, Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, said.
"We have never heard any support for Constantinople's rapacious actions from the pope or his representatives. We have never heard any support for the Ukrainian authorities, which intend to discriminate against the Russian-speaking population. And we generally see a very balanced position from Pope Francis personally, the Vatican as a state, and the Roman Catholic Church on different levels," the metropolitan said on the program Church and World on Rossiya 24.
He said he and Pope Francis discussed situation in Ukraine at their recent meeting. "I expressed to the pope the point of view of the Russian Orthodox Church on the events that are taking place,' the metropolitan said.
The pope is not being convinced to take the side of the Russian church in the conflict with the Constantinople Patriarchate over Ukraine, he said. "Of course, we don't assume that the pope can be an arbiter in this dispute, that's totally impossible. And it would be wrong to involve him in this issue or expect any actions from him, or to express solidarity with this or that party. The Orthodox Church lives according to its own laws and rules, and we will resolve this problem independently, without the pope's participation," he said.
The metropolitan declined to provide details about his talks with the pope, saying they were confidential.
In September, Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare for the creation of an autocephalous church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate. On October 11, the Synod in Istanbul invalidated its decree of 1686 on the transfer of the Kiev Metropolinate to Moscow, declared the creation of a metochion in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the self-proclaimed Orthodox Churches in Ukraine. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate declared the full severance of relations with the Church of Constantinople.
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17