18 October 2018, 14:36
Ukrainian parliament supports transfer of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to Constantinople
Kiev, October 18, Interfax - The Verkhovnaya Rada has supported the presidential bill on the use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev, which envisages its transfer to the Ecumenical (Constantinople) Patriarchate.
According to the head of the committee on spirituality, Nikolay Kniazhitsky, the transfer of St. Andrew's Church to the Ecumenical Patriarchate does not violate Ukrainian legislation.
"It [the bill] was written within the boundaries of the legislation. It instructs the Cabinet of Ministers to transfer this architectural monument for use, only for use, it does not contradict Ukrainian legislation, but indicates the political position of the Ukrainian president and the Ukrainian parliament," Kniazhitsky said.
The bill provides that St. Andrew's Church, which is an object of cultural heritage and a monument of architecture and state property, be transferred to the Ecumenical Patriarchate for permanent use to perform church services, religious ceremonies, and processions.
"The use of St. Andrew's Church by the Ecumenical Patriarchate is to be carried out in compliance with the legislation on the protection of cultural heritage," the document reads.
The authors of the bill believe that the transfer of the church to the Ecumenical Patriarchate will speed up the issuance of a tomos.
St. Andrew's Church is now used by the self-proclaimed Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC), which is expected to become part of the local Orthodox church in Ukraine after autocephaly is officially granted by the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53