16 October 2018, 18:00
Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova
Chisinau, October 16, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon has backed the initiative of Patriarch John X of Antioch to convene the Pan-Orthodox Council and noted that Moldova host meetings between all heads of local Churches.
"The church schism could become an open wound on the body of the entire Orthodox world. The authorities of the Orthodox countries, together with the heads of the local Churches, should do their utmost to overcome it," Dodon wrote on Facebook on Tuesday.
He expressed support for the initiative to convene the Pan-Orthodox Council voiced by Patriarch John X of Antioch and supported by clergy and laypeople of the Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, and Polish Orthodox Churches, as well as the Orthodox Churches of Alexandria and Jerusalem and the Orthodox Church in America, in order to resolve one of the most pressing issues in the history of Orthodox Christianity.
"In light of the above, I'm putting forward an initiative to host the Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova. We are a unique Orthodox country situated in the very heart of the Orthodox world, and this is why Moldova could become the venue of meetings between all heads of local Churches at this most challenging time," Dodon wrote.
He described the conflict between the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church as one of the most serious issues in the history of Orthodox Christianity.
"Moldova has been and will remain a canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate," he said.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and abrogated an ordinance dating back to the 17th century that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate did not recognize these decisions, nor did the Moscow Patriarchate itself, which declared the discontinuation of full communion with Constantinople on October 15.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07