15 October 2018, 22:21
Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod
Minsk, October 15, Interfax - The Archbishops' Council of the Russian Orthodox Church back in 2008 urged the Patriarchate of Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining the unity of the Orthodox Church, the ROC Synod said in a resolution in Minsk on Monday.
"The Synod of the Church of Constantinople has no canonical right to cancel judgments issued by the ROC Archbishops' Council," the resolution said in reference to Constantinople's decision to acquit the Ukrainian schismatic leaders and "legalize" their hierarchy.
The appropriation of powers to overturn judgments and resolutions of the other local Orthodox Churches "is just one manifestation of the new false doctrine now being proclaimed by the Church of Constantinople and ascribing the title of the first without equals (primus sine paribus) to the Patriarch of Constantinople with universal jurisdiction," the Minsk resolution said.
"Such a vision by the Patriarchate of Constantinople of its own rights and powers is in insuperable contradiction with the centuries-long canonical tradition upon which rests the existence of the Russian Orthodox Church and of the other local Churches," the Archbishops' Council warned in 2008.
At the time the Council urged the Church of Constantinople "to exercise prudence until pan-Orthodox consideration of the aforesaid novelties and refrain from steps which might explode the Orthodox unity," especially the attempts to review the canonical limits of the local Orthodox Churches.
Today's Synod in Minsk also urged local Orthodox Churches to assess Constantinople's actions on Ukraine and together look for ways out of the "most serious crisis tearing up the body" of the Church.
On October 11 the Synod in Istanbul made a number of decisions which the Russian Church has already slammed as "robbery," namely: rehabilitation of the Ukrainian schismatic leaders, the announcement of opening its mission in Kiev, and the abolition of a 300-year-old decree transferring the Kiev metropolitanate to Moscow.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03