15 October 2018, 22:21
Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod
Minsk, October 15, Interfax - The Archbishops' Council of the Russian Orthodox Church back in 2008 urged the Patriarchate of Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining the unity of the Orthodox Church, the ROC Synod said in a resolution in Minsk on Monday.
"The Synod of the Church of Constantinople has no canonical right to cancel judgments issued by the ROC Archbishops' Council," the resolution said in reference to Constantinople's decision to acquit the Ukrainian schismatic leaders and "legalize" their hierarchy.
The appropriation of powers to overturn judgments and resolutions of the other local Orthodox Churches "is just one manifestation of the new false doctrine now being proclaimed by the Church of Constantinople and ascribing the title of the first without equals (primus sine paribus) to the Patriarch of Constantinople with universal jurisdiction," the Minsk resolution said.
"Such a vision by the Patriarchate of Constantinople of its own rights and powers is in insuperable contradiction with the centuries-long canonical tradition upon which rests the existence of the Russian Orthodox Church and of the other local Churches," the Archbishops' Council warned in 2008.
At the time the Council urged the Church of Constantinople "to exercise prudence until pan-Orthodox consideration of the aforesaid novelties and refrain from steps which might explode the Orthodox unity," especially the attempts to review the canonical limits of the local Orthodox Churches.
Today's Synod in Minsk also urged local Orthodox Churches to assess Constantinople's actions on Ukraine and together look for ways out of the "most serious crisis tearing up the body" of the Church.
On October 11 the Synod in Istanbul made a number of decisions which the Russian Church has already slammed as "robbery," namely: rehabilitation of the Ukrainian schismatic leaders, the announcement of opening its mission in Kiev, and the abolition of a 300-year-old decree transferring the Kiev metropolitanate to Moscow.
- New church of Ukraine in contact with SBU, but doesn't coordinate actions – Filaret 21 January 2019, 12:39
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55