08 October 2018, 11:58
Remnants of older altar discovered at site of burned-down Dormition Church in Karelia
Petrozavodsk, October 8, Interfax - Specialists from a Moscow institute Spetsproektrestavratsia, which specializes in architectural restoration, had inspected the site of the Dormition Church destroyed by fire in the Karelian town of Kondopoga, the regional administration said in a statement.
"The best preserved part [of the church] is the wooden altar whose logs partly remained on the outside but were severely burned out on the inside. In the lower section of the altar piece, the specialists discovered a log structure of an older, five-wall altar on a stand-alone rock foundation," the statement said.
The specialists believe that the new altar may have been added as a superstructure on top of the old one during the last reconstruction of the church.
"The logs sustained serious loss in diameter because of the fire, but the beam joints and cross-sections have remained. Judging by the burned-down corner notches, cuttings from the tool are well readable even on the charred surface," the statement said.
The surviving fragments will be moved indoors by November 15. Regional authorities are in talks with the Kondopoga pulp mill over renting some of its warehouses. Until then the site will remain under security round the clock.
"Arrangements have been made for temporary warehousing of the marked elements which will be removed for storage and analysis. Fully destroyed elements and charcoal from the site have been stacked separately for subsequent removal and disposal," the statement said.
It was reported that a fire on August 10 destroyed almost entirely the unique 18th century church in Kondopoga. Investigators launched a criminal investigation on charges of causing damage or destruction of a listed cultural heritage site. A 15-year-old boy is suspected of arson.
The Dormition Church built in 1764 was a unique monument of Russian wooden architecture, a cultural heritage site of federal significance. The church was taken under state protection in the 1960s. It stood over a total area of 260.3 square meters.
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29