08 October 2018, 11:58
Remnants of older altar discovered at site of burned-down Dormition Church in Karelia
Petrozavodsk, October 8, Interfax - Specialists from a Moscow institute Spetsproektrestavratsia, which specializes in architectural restoration, had inspected the site of the Dormition Church destroyed by fire in the Karelian town of Kondopoga, the regional administration said in a statement.
"The best preserved part [of the church] is the wooden altar whose logs partly remained on the outside but were severely burned out on the inside. In the lower section of the altar piece, the specialists discovered a log structure of an older, five-wall altar on a stand-alone rock foundation," the statement said.
The specialists believe that the new altar may have been added as a superstructure on top of the old one during the last reconstruction of the church.
"The logs sustained serious loss in diameter because of the fire, but the beam joints and cross-sections have remained. Judging by the burned-down corner notches, cuttings from the tool are well readable even on the charred surface," the statement said.
The surviving fragments will be moved indoors by November 15. Regional authorities are in talks with the Kondopoga pulp mill over renting some of its warehouses. Until then the site will remain under security round the clock.
"Arrangements have been made for temporary warehousing of the marked elements which will be removed for storage and analysis. Fully destroyed elements and charcoal from the site have been stacked separately for subsequent removal and disposal," the statement said.
It was reported that a fire on August 10 destroyed almost entirely the unique 18th century church in Kondopoga. Investigators launched a criminal investigation on charges of causing damage or destruction of a listed cultural heritage site. A 15-year-old boy is suspected of arson.
The Dormition Church built in 1764 was a unique monument of Russian wooden architecture, a cultural heritage site of federal significance. The church was taken under state protection in the 1960s. It stood over a total area of 260.3 square meters.
- Two U.S. Mormons convicted in Kuban for illegal missionary activities leave Russia 20 March 2019, 20:56
- FSB suppresses operation of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Yalta 20 March 2019, 19:09
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54
- Some 30,000 people leaving Venezuela every day - U.S. preacher 05 March 2019, 17:24
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian, U.S. Christians to work towards overcoming standoff 05 March 2019, 17:22
- Forecast re Russia's impending Islamization baseless - expert on Islamic studies 05 March 2019, 17:21