08 October 2018, 11:58
Remnants of older altar discovered at site of burned-down Dormition Church in Karelia
Petrozavodsk, October 8, Interfax - Specialists from a Moscow institute Spetsproektrestavratsia, which specializes in architectural restoration, had inspected the site of the Dormition Church destroyed by fire in the Karelian town of Kondopoga, the regional administration said in a statement.
"The best preserved part [of the church] is the wooden altar whose logs partly remained on the outside but were severely burned out on the inside. In the lower section of the altar piece, the specialists discovered a log structure of an older, five-wall altar on a stand-alone rock foundation," the statement said.
The specialists believe that the new altar may have been added as a superstructure on top of the old one during the last reconstruction of the church.
"The logs sustained serious loss in diameter because of the fire, but the beam joints and cross-sections have remained. Judging by the burned-down corner notches, cuttings from the tool are well readable even on the charred surface," the statement said.
The surviving fragments will be moved indoors by November 15. Regional authorities are in talks with the Kondopoga pulp mill over renting some of its warehouses. Until then the site will remain under security round the clock.
"Arrangements have been made for temporary warehousing of the marked elements which will be removed for storage and analysis. Fully destroyed elements and charcoal from the site have been stacked separately for subsequent removal and disposal," the statement said.
It was reported that a fire on August 10 destroyed almost entirely the unique 18th century church in Kondopoga. Investigators launched a criminal investigation on charges of causing damage or destruction of a listed cultural heritage site. A 15-year-old boy is suspected of arson.
The Dormition Church built in 1764 was a unique monument of Russian wooden architecture, a cultural heritage site of federal significance. The church was taken under state protection in the 1960s. It stood over a total area of 260.3 square meters.
- Authorities give up plans to build church in Yekaterinburg park after VCIOM poll 22 May 2019, 18:49
- Nalchik mosque evacuated after bomb threat 22 May 2019, 17:33
- Teen suspected of setting fire to Assumption Church in Karelia found to have mental disorder 22 May 2019, 15:57
- Provocative behavior of migrants causes nationalism, anti-Islamic terrorism - Bortnikov 21 May 2019, 11:05
- Bomb threat at Dagestan Muslim Spiritual Council HQ turns out to be hoax 21 May 2019, 11:04
- Ukrainian embassy's 'Crimean Tatars' photo is actually Lodz ghetto Jews deportation photo 21 May 2019, 11:02
- Fence at church construction site in Yekaterinburg to be torn down for peace's sake 21 May 2019, 11:01
- Muslim board evacuated in Makhachkala due to bomb threat 20 May 2019, 19:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation 20 May 2019, 18:44
- Zelensky's words on unacceptability of Ukraine's division based on language should also apply to religion - Lavrov 20 May 2019, 16:40
- President is not an icon - Zelensky 20 May 2019, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill calculated that without abortions population of Russia will increase up to 166 million in twenty years 20 May 2019, 14:07
- Media review: "Two-headed hydra of Ukrainian schism and the world Orthodoxy" 20 May 2019, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on new Ukrainian authorities to stop discriminating against Russian language 20 May 2019, 11:13
- Sverdlovsk regional administration to invite people to discuss alternative sites for church construction in Yekaterinburg 20 May 2019, 11:02
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15