03 October 2018, 11:07
Blood-stained union with Vatican stripped Constantinople of right to interfere in Ukraine's religious affairs - UOC
Moscow, October 3, Interfax - After its Union with the Vatican that led to large-scale bloodshed in Ukraine the Constantinople Patriarchate has no moral right to interfere in the religious life of that country, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes.
"In general one should shamefacedly keep quiet about the historical motherhood of Constantinople after the Union," head of the UOC press service Vasily Anisimov said in an interview with Interfax-Religion.
He said that Galician Uniates, "the principal Russophobes of Ukraine" are the offspring to the notorious 1596 Union of Brest when all bishops of the dioceses of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople led by Metropolitan Michael Rogoza betrayed Orthodox Christianity and surrendered to the power of the Holy See, traveled to Rome, kissed the Pope's shoe and together with the authorities in present-day Ukraine shed "a wide sea of tears and blood" as famous poet Taras Shevchenko wrote about them.
Even not taking into account the period of the imposition of the Union in Ukraine UOC categorically disagrees with the determination of Constantinople to interfere in the affairs of other Сhurches as the mother Сhurch.
"The Church of Jerusalem is regarded as the mother of all churches, so should it deal with the internal affairs of the Church of Constantinople?" Anisimov said.
He said that the geography of the current UOC considerably differs from the Kiev Metropolia which was under the jurisdiction of Constantinople centuries ago: UOC currently unites all the dioceses of the Russian Church that used to exist in the territory of Soviet Ukraine - both ancient ones and those established in territories added to the Russian Empire and later to the USSR.
"The Patriarch of Constantinople has nothing to do with either Ukraine or the Ukrainian Orthodox Church because such a state or such a Church simply didn't exist 300 years ago. Always and everywhere there were an indivisible Russian people for Constantinople and it is Russia there where Russians are. So the present-day 'mother' by no chance saw her children as Ukrainians in the days of her motherhood," Anisimov said.
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12