01 October 2018, 12:14
Communication with schismatics could lead to excommunication, Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns Constantinople
Moscow, October 1, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has reminded the Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople of the risk of excommunication as the result of communication with schismatics.
"Our leader asked Patriarch Bartholomew to influence the Constantinople archpriest Metropolitan Emmanuel [of France], who is conducting dialogue with schismatics on the canonical territory of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Does Patriarch Bartholomew not know that communication with schismatics carries the risk of excommunication from the Church?" Metropolitan Pavel, head of the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, said, in a commentary posted on the monastery's website.
He admitted that as an Orthodox bishop he was very concerned by "the silence on this issue of several other Churches which are probably more fearful of consequences of a conflict with Istanbul than with the Christ Himself."
Metropolitan Pavel also expressed bewilderment that Patriarch Bartholomew thought himself entitled to interfere in the affairs of other branches of the Orthodox Church.
"This is about the equality of the episcopate and the equality among all bishops. But who gives Istanbul and its archpriests the right to ascribe themselves the functions they are trying to appropriate? I am surprised that the Patriarchate of Constantinople, which once veered into heresy and schism by striking a union with Rome, is attempting to impose its premiership to another, deeply Orthodox state," he said.
Each branch of the Orthodox Church has its own specifics as well as inviolable rules: at the Tomb of God no one has the right to conduct services other than members of the fraternity who live there, no one will be allowed to conduct a service at the Monastery of the Caves or to serve arbitrarily, such things are not possible in any of the Athos monasteries either, Metropolitan Pavel said.
"And that is why Istanbul has no right to point out to us who is right and who is wrong," he said.
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12