25 September 2018, 17:24
Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees appointment of 2 Constantinople exarchs as interference in internal affairs (updated)
Moscow, September 25, Interfax - The Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church called on Constantinope Patriarch Bartholomew to stop interfering in the church's affairs at a meeting on Tuesday.
"This appointment [of two exarchs in Kiev by Constantinople] was qualified as gross interference in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's internal affairs and a violation of its canonical territory. Therefore, the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church called on Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to stop interfering in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's internal affairs and not violate its canonical territory," the Synod said in a decision posted on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's website.
The two appointees, Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton, "must leave the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's canonical territory," as their activities are uncanonical and disturb Ukraine's interfaith peace, the decision reads.
The Synod also announced that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's episcopate had suspended concelebration with hierarchs of the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
The Synod called on the clergy, monastics, and laypeople to pray even more arduously for the preservation of the unity of Orthodoxy.
Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko announced on April 17 that he would urge Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to issue a tomos (ordinance) on setting up a "unified local church" in Ukraine. The idea met with protests from the Moscow Patriarchate and its self-governed element, the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which did not ask for autocephaly.
Patriarch Bartholomew accepted Poroshenko's address for consideration. Over the next several months, the Russian Church had bilateral contacts with other Orthodox Churches around the world to win their support for preventing interference in its internal affairs and the legalization of a schism in Ukraine.
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia made his last attempt to settle the matter diplomatically by visiting Istanbul to meet with Patriarch Bartholomew on August 31. However, despite a "brotherly conversation," as both parties described it in interviews with journalists, the very next day Patriarch Bartholomew presented a report at an assembly of the Constantinople bishops in which he described Moscow's activities in Ukraine's ecclesiastical affairs as uncanonical interference and claimed this right for himself. Soon afterward, the Ecumenical Patriarchate announced the appointment of two bishops as its exarchs in Kiev to pave the way toward "Ukraine's autocephaly."
The Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate qualified Constantinople's actions as incursion into its canonical territory and announced at on September 14 that it was suspending liturgical mention of the patriarch of Constantinople, which is seen by some as analogous to breaking off diplomatic relations.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11
- Odessa metropolitan asks Patriarch Kirill to facilitate Ukrainian sailors' release 04 December 2018, 11:39
- Ukrainian parliament speaker wants to transfer St. Sophia Cathedral to new church created by Constantinople 03 December 2018, 14:34
- Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly 02 December 2018, 21:15
- Disbanded Constantinople's Russian archdiocese refuses to dissolve immediately 02 December 2018, 21:12