14 September 2018, 09:43
UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly"
Moscow, September 14, Interfax - In spite of Constantinople's plans to set up a new church structure in Ukraine, majority of parishioners of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church will not leave it, head of the UOC administration Metropolitan Antony of Borispol and Brovary believes.
"Our Church does not accept this action and will not serve together with this "church". The Church is a big spiritual family and it means that majority of our believers and parishioners will stay in the canonical Church, they won't betray their pastors, as they love them and follow them," the metropolitan said in his interview with the Romfea Greek news agency.
Some people will leave, but very few, mainly those with problems. The hierarch noted that Ukrainian families would face disputes, "our churches will be seized, brothers will fight against each other, there will be conflicts," the events of the 1990-s when Ukraine went through the schism would repeat.
Metropolitan Antony said that believers and clergy "got very bad feeling." "We're expecting the worst," he said.
The UOC official laments that Patriarch Bartholomew with his recent statements only deepened the schism existing in Ukraine.
"Our Church is under great pressure and the Mother-Church instead of protecting her daughter only adds fuel to the fire," the metropolitan said and added that "persistent and stubborn attempts of the Ecumenical Patriarchate to heal the schism in Ukraine with autocephaly are not a medicine, but poison both for the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the whole body of the Ecumenical Orthodoxy."
The UOC administration head repeated the idea to call for a special Council.
"From the history of the Church we see that as soon as a problem, heresy or schism appeared, Local or Ecumenical Council were called for. (...) Only together, with prayer, considering what is good for the Church, under guidance and blessing of the Holy Spirit we will find the settlement of the problem and avoid even greater problems," the hierarch believes.
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28